Join the Quantum Dot Pioneers!
Nanosys is building a materials revolution, combining scientific expertise with awareness of the system needs of TV and display manufacturers. We are looking for people who are not only energetic, committed and passionate about what they do, but focused on applying innovation to help the display industry overcome obstacles through materials architecture. We have a “roll-up your sleeves” culture that is based upon individual empowerment, mutual respect, integrity and recognition of successes.
Our quantum dots are designed to increase the range of colors emitted by standard displays by up to 50% and that’s why we are interested in the color emitting characteristics of the semi-conductor materials we synthesize into fluorescent nanocrystals. Once created, the dots are coated onto a barrier film that we call QDEF, which in turn is added to a display during the manufacturing process. We are constantly developing new dots, looking at new methods of encapsulation and always pushing the R&D envelope regarding the materials we design and manufacture. We have been very successful in developing the market for quantum dots in the display industry and we’ve been responsible for many breakthrough technological achievements. As a consequence of our manufacturing improvement efforts we are now looking to hire a skilled Facilities Director who will take our scale-up and capital equipment projects to the next level. Nanosys currently occupies 60,000 sq ft of manufacturing, R&D laboratories and office space located in Milpitas, CA.
Director of Facilities & Equipment Maintenance:
Reporting to the Chief Operations Officer, the Director of Facilities & Equipment Maintenance will take ownership of the Nanosys building and all its facilities and processes supporting manufacturing. The Director will also manage the functions of the facilities group and will have responsibility for planned, preventative and corrective maintenance of equipment, machinery, and buildings systems, utilizing both internal and contract resources. The ideal candidate will have hands on experience in facilities and equipment maintenance or facilities engineering in a manufacturing environment where the up-time of process equipment is critical. In addition, the successful candidate will have a proven track record in roles of progressively more responsibility such that their tactical and management skills will be a key contributor to their ability to provide long term strategic value to the company and its employees.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Develop and directly manage the facilities department’s annual and long term budget.
- Develop, manage, and maintain robust service/scheduling programs for facility equipment and utilities supporting both manufacturing and laboratory environments, including compressed air systems, HVAC equipment, security systems, etc. This will include overseeing the validation and compliance aspects of the facilities department including deviation investigations, change control and work order management.
- Manage capital improvement and construction projects including planning, implementation, and working with city and other agencies to secure permits and other regulatory requirements.
- Coordinate and direct plant shutdowns to include preventative maintenance, major projects and plant modifications
- Hire, develop and evaluate personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the facility.
- Manage contracts for facility equipment maintenance, janitorial services etc.
- Work with EHS&S to ensure the facility complies with local Fire Department, Life Safety/NFPA codes, Cal/OSHA, Air Quality Management District, and local regulations related to building, waste and work environment.
- Develop and maintain effective and cooperative relationships with all departments including Manufacturing, Process Engineering, Quality and R&D, to ensure the concerns of Operations are recognized in the early stages of product development. Maintain information flow throughout the company on facility issues.
- Act as primary interface with landlord site management and the city of Milpitas.
- Participate as an active member of the facility’s Emergency Response Team (ERT).
- Must be available to be on call 24-hours a day, 7 days a week (this is a shared responsibility).
Education and experience requirements:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering (or a closely related discipline) or the equivalent industrial experience.
- Requires a minimum of 10 years’ successful experience managing mechanical and electrical infrastructure with at least 5 years in a people management capacity. Related experience in the chemical, pharmaceutical or semiconductor manufacturing industry is required.
- Extensive experience in owning, developing and managing large facilities maintenance and capital acquisitions budgets with experience balancing short term (tactical) expenses against long term capital spend.
- Expert understanding of assets, budget impact and workplace planning.
- Experienced in reading and analyzing construction plans including architectural, mechanical, electrical, process piping, plumbing, fire/life safety and structural plans.
- Excellent people management skills and experience managing facilities and maintenance crews for performance and project delivery.
- Excellent communication skills, project management skills, and the ability to manage various projects at one time.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively across all levels of management from hands on technicians through to the CEO.
- In depth Knowledge of and experience with local, state and federal regulations for laboratory and manufacturing facilities. Knowledge of utility systems, particularly HVAC, water and compressed air systems.
- In-depth knowledge of Building Management Systems (BMS).
- Knowledge of CMMS and HelpDesk software.
- Working proficiency of Microsoft Office Programs.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. May be exposed to the following environmental conditions: wet or humid conditions, work near moving parts, work in high - precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electric shock.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the individual is required to:
- Stand, walk, sit, balance, stoop or crouch, kneel, reach, push, grasp, feel, talk, and hear.
- Have clarity of vision at 20 feet or more and 20 inches or less with the ability to judge distance and space relationships, bring object into sharp focus and see up and down or to the right or left while fixed on a point. Must also have the ability to identify and distinguish colors.
- Exert an amount of force continuously and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 50 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Individual may be required to wear respiratory devices that include but are not limited to: Air Purifying Respirators (APR) which include half-face and full-face negative pressure respirators, hooded powered air purifying respirators, or Supplied Air Respirators (SAR), which include hooded or full face supplied air respirators.
Nanosys offers competitive salary with a wide range of benefits including a comprehensive health plan, basic life and AD&D, short and long-term disability insurance, 401(k) savings plan, paid time off, paid holidays, employee referral program and stock options. We are seeking results-oriented people that are driven to succeed through teamwork, focused on discovery to solve real-world challenges, and passionate about building a new industry.
Relocation; currently the scope of this job does not support the paid re-location of any potentially qualified candidates. Our site is located in Milpitas, CA and our ideal candidate lives within driving distance of our facility.
Please submit your resume online at: https://home.eease.com/recruit/?id=15358601