Join the Quantum Dot Pioneers!
Nanosys is building a materials revolution, combining scientific expertise with awareness of the system needs of TV and display manufacturers. We are looking for people who are not only energetic, committed and passionate about what they do, but focused on applying innovation to help industries overcome obstacles through materials architecture. We have a “roll-up your sleeves” culture that is based upon individual empowerment, mutual respect, integrity and recognition of successes.
Our quantum dots are designed to increase the range of colors emitted by standard displays by up to 50% and that’s why we are interested in the color emitting characteristics of the semi-conductor materials we synthesize into fluorescent nanocrystals. Once created, the dots are coated onto a barrier film that we call QDEF, which in turn is added to a display during the manufacturing process. We are constantly developing new dots, looking at new methods of encapsulation and always pushing the R&D envelope regarding the materials we design and manufacture. We have been very successful in developing the market for quantum dots in the display industry and we are currently developing our next generation of game changing devices which involves the development of Quantum Dots as emitters of light & color and it is for this reason that we invite you to consider the following opportunity at Nanosys:
Director of R&D – QLED Devices
We are looking for an experienced, up-beat, highly technical manager who can lead a ground breaking R&D program. Innovation in both materials and devices are required for development of the next generation of emitters for the display industry (think of an OLED that uses Quantum Dots!).
The ideal candidate will come from a light-emitting device background (preferably OLED) and will have a successful track record in the development of thin-film / electro-photonic devices and will have led projects in either the display, lighting or solar cell industry.
Summary of essential job functions:
- Work with the VP of R&D to develop and then execute agreed upon research and product development timelines.
- Manage a multi-disciplinary team who are developing both the materials, devices, and characterization of these devices.
- Build consensus around ideas and projects.
- Develop budgets, timelines and materials performance criteria and appropriate measurement criteria.
- Lead the QLED (Quantum Dot Electroluminescence) team to develop and execute agreed upon materials performance timelines.
- Work with the material scientists to modify materials for improved device performance.
- Work with external partners and collaborators to accelerate development.
- Recruit, train and motivate team members into a strong, cohesive team.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A highly creative leader. Able to bring out creativity in staff while adding his/her own ideas collaboratively.
- Structures a technical approach to meet time-based deliverables.
- Excellent leadership, collaboration and interpersonal skills and the ability to work with cross-disciplinary groups.
- Extensive experience in the development and characterization of novel materials; especially where little or no literature exists.
- Strong test methodology background associated with electro-optical characterization of these devices; including measurement of EQE, device lifetime, as well as approaches to probe failure modes of these devices.
- Experience with semiconductor device modeling, band diagrams, and approaches to resolving issues illuminated by these models.
- An understanding of materials science and device physics as it applies to improving both device efficiency and lifetime. Experience determining origin of device failure modes highly desired.
- Superior problem solving skills.
- A willingness to take chances, think beyond the conventional and then test a hypothesis and re-calibrate in order to reach a materials performance goal.
Education & Experience:
- A Ph.D. in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Material Science or a very closely related discipline.
- Experience managing and leading the people, processes, projects and budgets associated with new product development in an R&D environment.
- 10+ years of relevant industrial experience developing OLED or other thin film devices ideally in the display or lighting industry.
- Experience with the development of innovative/novel materials in the thin film space.
- Hands-on experience with semiconductor device physics including device fabrication and testing.
- Ideally have experience working with Quantum Dots.
Nanosys offers competitive salary including stock options with a wide range of benefits including a comprehensive health plan, basic life and AD&D, short and long-term disability insurance, 401(k) savings plan, 4 weeks paid time off, and 11 paid holidays.
Please submit your resume online at: https://home.eease.com/recruit/?id=15476731